I am Laura Johnson, originally from the UK and have been living in Berlin since 2012. I studied medicine as a bachelor degree with a major in anatomy and physiology and also completed a Masters and PhD degree in the medical field of neurosurgery and advanced technology (yes, I’m a Dr. of the academic sort).
In early 2013 I launched my next passion of working in sports, enrolling on the international ITEC 4 sports massage course and qualifiying as a therapist by 2014. I have continued to add to my skill set and scope with further professional education courses and qualifications which I have listed below. They are all a type of manual and soft tissue therapy which has the umbrella term Soft Tissue Therapy.
My scope of work includes treatment of the general population through to elite level athletes and however you want to classify them, hollywood actors and their stunt doubles. At the practice I treat everyone who needs it, elite sportsperson or humble beginner to the injured ordinary citizen of this world.
The days I’m not working I’m typically studying (yes nerdy therapist here!) or racking my brain to understand the mechanics of a new sport to help a new client. I got into running in 2015 becuase I was treating so many runners in Berlin. This city seems full of injured runners! My curiosity made me go through a qualification in running analysis and rehab of running related injuries and a 1/2 marathon just to make sure I understood running! Since then I’ve also adopted cold water swimming, Barre, Yoga, and lying on beds of nails. It’s amazing what you get into because of your clients!.
A sample of my amazing People & Projects
- NBA champions San Antonio Spurs basketball team, Global Games in Berlin
- Durham County Cricket Club, England Champions, UK
- Bupa Great North Run, UK
- BBM Ultimate Frisbee Tournament, DE
- Urban Sports Club Football League, DE
- USA elite triathlete & runner
- Adidas RunBase Berlin Running Analyst and RunLab manager
- Adidas Runners and RunBase STT therapist
- International musicians on tour in Berlin
- Cast and stunt crew for Matrix 4 and Unchartered
- German actor/producer/musician
- British national 400m hurdler
- SA professional free-diver/ice-diver
- Peloton master instructor
- Berlin’s celebrity personal trainers
- Berlin Alba visiting players
- Marathon legend Kathrine Switzer
Complete Concussion Managment certified, CCMI Canada
Integrated Manual Therapist – Brookbush Institute, USA
CPD Head Neck & Jaw, Susan Findlay, London UK
CPD Transverse Soft Tissue Release, Susan Findlay, London UK
Fascial Manipulation Level 1, Fascial Manipulation Institute by Stecco, UK
Functional Kinesio Taping, RockTape, Germany
CPD Functional Running & Gait Re-Education, Kinetic Revolution, UK
CPD Advanced Soft Tissue Techniques Master Class, Bodymaster Method, UK
CPD Hip & Groin Master Class, Bodymaster Method, UK
CPD Shoulder Joint Master Class, Bodymaster Method, UK
Diploma ITEC* level 4 Sports Massage The Performance Clinic, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, England
Diploma ITEC* Level 3 Holistic Body Massage St Mary’s University College, Twickenham, England
PhD. Augmented reality applied to complex neurosurgery, Kings College London, UK
Master of Research. Advanced Medical Instrumentation Systems, University College London, UK
Bachelor in Medicine/Neurophysiology, University of Leeds, UK
UK Sports Massage Association www.thesma.org Previous Full Member
Rock Tape Qualified Professional -Rock Doc
ITEC international level 4 qualifies me to work with sports people up to Elite Athlete level providing injury management and recovery treatments
* ITEC qualifications are accredited by OFQUAL on behalf of the Department of Education in the UK. They are recognised in 33 countries around the world. The highest Sports Massage Therapy qualification is ITEC Level 5.