I am Laura Johnson, originally from the UK and have been living in Berlin since 2012. I studied medicine as a bachelor degree with a major in anatomy and physiology and also completed a Masters and PhD degree in the medical field of neurosurgery and advanced technology (yes, I’m a Dr. of the academic sort). After 11 years of country hopping for work, my arrival in Berlin in 2012 presented the idea and opportunity to get back to my passion of hands-on anatomy, physiology and sport. Being a researcher at heart what grabbed my attention, and has never let go, is the interplay and impact of training, load, tissue adaption and injury not only in athletes but also the general population.
In early 2013 I started my studies in sports massage in the UK and graduated in Autumn 2014 as an international ITEC 4 sports massage therapist. My scope includes treatment of elite level athletes. I have continued to add to my skill set and scope with further professional education courses and qualifications which I have listed below. They are all a type of manual and soft tissue therapy. So the broadest term for my work is Soft Tissue Therapy with specific applications like sports massage, MET, Fascia release, etc.
I have had amazing fortune as a trainee STT in the UK and as a professional STT in Berlin as I have worked with international athletes and sports teams, international celebrities, performers, musicians, actors and sporting legends. At the practice I treat everyone who needs it, elite sportsperson or humble beginner to the injured ordinary citizen of this world. And yes, it’s all fun or I wouldn’t do it!
As research, science, understanding and methods change and progress I am regularly updating my knowledge on training courses and new approaches. The options never stop but I only apply the ones that resonate with me. So yes, anything I use with you I have tried on myself or my trusty volunteers before I bring it to the clinic.
Recently the UK Sports Massage Association officially changed the title of Sports Massage Therapist to Soft Tissue Therapist to encompass more fully the breadth of techniques and skills UK qualified sports massage therapists have and can use in their practice with clients.
- NBA champions San Antonio Spurs basketball team, Global Games in Berlin
- Durham County Cricket Club, England Champions, UK
- Bupa Great North Run, UK
- BBM Ultimate Frisbee Tournament, DE
- Urban Sports Club Football League, DE
- Adidas RunBase Berlin Gait Analysis Lab manager
- Adidas Runners and RunBase STT therapist
- USA elite triathlete & runner
- International musicians on tour in Berlin
- Film stars, stunt crew for Matrix 4 and Unchartered
In addition to my original training I have the following CPDs and qualifications
- British national 400m hurdler
- SA professional free-diver/ice-diver
- Peloton master instructor
- Berlin’s celebrity personal trainers
- German actor/producer/musician
- International actors filming in Berlin
- Launch of the Athlete Support Program 2021
Brookbush Institute – Integrated Manual Therapist
CPD Head Neck & Jaw, Susan Findlay, London UK
CPD Transverse Soft Tissue Release, Susan Findlay, London UK
Fascial Manipulation Level 1, Fascial Manipulation Institute by Stecco, UK
Functional Kinesio Taping, RockTape, Germany
CPD Functional Running & Gait Re-Education, Kinetic Revolution, UK
CPD Advanced Soft Tissue Techniques Master Class, Bodymaster Method, UK
CPD Hip & Groin Master Class, Bodymaster Method, UK
CPD Shoulder Joint Master Class, Bodymaster Method, UK
Diploma ITEC* level 4 Sports Massage The Performance Clinic, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, England
Diploma ITEC* Level 3 Holistic Body Massage St Mary’s University College, Twickenham, England
PhD. Augmented reality applied to complex neurosurgery, Kings College London, UK
Master of Research. Advanced Medical Instrumentation Systems, University College London, UK
Bachelor in Medicine/Neurophysiology, University of Leeds, UK
UK Sports Massage Association www.thesma.org Previous Full Member
Rock Tape Qualified Professional -Rock Doc
ITEC international level 4 qualifies me to work with sports people up to Elite Athlete level providing injury management and recovery treatments
* ITEC qualifications are accredited by OFQUAL on behalf of the Department of Education in the UK. They are recognised in 33 countries around the world. The highest Sports Massage Therapy qualification is ITEC Level 5.